Sunday, February 19, 2012

Links~

I really admire Jackson Pollock's work, now that I've seen it and have witnessed how it's done. While I admire the minimalism of Frankenthaler's works, I seem to base myself off of the expressive, almost messy application of media onto paper. Whatever comes to me, I do and act upon, and I feel like Pollock's work especially illustrates that. That said, I am still wowed by Frankenthaler's works simply because she can do so much with so little. From looking at the pieces, it appears as if she didn't use as much of the medium nor did she put that many strokes into applying it, as opposed to Pollock's dripping effects, which gives her work a more controlled, stable feel to them.

Charlene Von Heyl's pieces are beautiful. I love the effect of black and white; it's simple, timeless and gorgeous. The way the two push and pull one another back and forth to create a create a figure-ground relationship. I can either see the black shapes or the white shapes in the foreground of the paintings, which changes them completely into two different works of art in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment